-God speaks the Ten Commandments to Moses. The first four have to do with our vertical relationship with Him (love God). The last six have to do with our horizontal relationships with others (love your neighbor as yourself).
-Here is the summary basic meaning of the commands:
1) Exclusivity of God, there is no other
2) No idols, likeness of God, this has lead to some not allowing art forms of the LORD, be careful what you worship
3) His Name is holy, punishment involved in taking His Name in vain
4) Reverence for His day of rest, His completion, we need a break and God knows this well, keep Him at the center, abide in Him, do no work on this day
5) Respect of parents, longevity in the land, continuation of norms and values across generations
6) Deals with the violent nature of man and the value of human life
7) Faithfulness to your spouse, no cheating on your personal covenant to your spouse before God
8) Taking from someone else’s possessions wrongfully, lack of respect and kindness
9) Lying, be honest, no deceit
10) Deals with greed and lust for things, be content
-The people are greatly afraid at the sound of His voice and wouldn’t go near. Moses says, “Don’t be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin (Exodus 20:20).” *Application* This summarizes God’s heart for us. The price for sin is death and God will do whatever it takes to keep us from that demise. Have you passed His test of faith? Fear Him and live.
-The last section of this chapter gives instructions for making alters. New religious traditions are being established and this is an attempt to prevent idolatry of any kind. God is unique and no human forms of craftsmanship are needed.
Verse to Memorize: Exodus 20:20